New York, NY, USA

'War Paint' Brings Audiences 1920s Luxury



Over the weekend, I had the opportunity of attending the Broadway musical, War Paint, and not only was the storyline intriguing and one of feminism, but the COSTUMES! Let's just say that I have never been more jealous of the performers on the stage (besides their impeccable talent) since they got to wear such adorable outfits. Honestly, a piece of me wishes I lived during the Roaring 20s because the fashion at the time was just so extraordinary.

War Paint tells the story of two rival makeup companies: Elizabeth Arden and Helena Rubinstein, who at the time, were the most popular cosmetic companies for women. Since the musical started out in the early 1900s, the performers donned the classic long-sleeved, A-line dresses of the 1920s accompanied with fur shawls and coats. Their costumes screamed luxury, which was fitting because the two women were some of the richest at the time.

Of the costumes, there were two components that I would have to consider my favorites. First, being all of the pink since it was Elizabeth Arden's trademarked color. From the hot pink two-piece suit that Arden wore to the baby pink color of the servants' dresses, I loved how everything was so pink. The color exuded femininity and elegance and I love how all of the performers associated with the brand wore PINK. Second, the jewels that Patti Lupone got to wear for her character, Helena Rubinstein. I swear they were so sparkly that I could see the shimmer all the way from the last row (I'm serious, I was at the highest point in the theatre). I also loved how the costume designers incorporated Rubenstein's heritage in that a majority of her outfits were reminiscent of Eastern European fashion.

Overall, the costumes were amazing and beautiful and I loved how the audience was able to see the progression of time through the fashion because by the end, the women were wearing the fashion of the mod 1960s. With a musical like this one that not only has a great female empowerment story as well, but costuming that will leave you in awe, there is no reason for you not to see this one. If you are in the New York City area, then I highly suggest you take a trip out to see War Paint.



Until next time...

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Kelly Guidry. Design by Fearne.