New York, NY, USA

MET Goes Avant-Garde at the 2017 MET Gala


Not only is the first Monday of May the time where many whip out their favorite *NSYNC meme, but it is also the time fashion lovers everywhere sit behind their screens and watch the red carpet of the infamous MET Gala. Since this was my first year living in New York on this very important day - as I have followed the MET Gala for years now - I felt as though I was there even though I was in the library working on an essay rather than on Fifth Avenue. Nonetheless, as I kept refreshing my social media, waiting for more pictures to come up on my feed, I couldn't help but feel disappointed in the fashion this year. 

I was a huge fan of the Ex Machina theme from last year so I was expecting something bigger and better, but this year unfortunately fell short. With this year's costume exhibit honoring Comme Des Garçons designer, Rei Kawakubo, who made history since the last time a living designer was honored was in the 1980s with Yves Saint Laurent, I was expecting the stars to come on the red carpet in some fantastic pieces and although everyone looked good, at no point was I wowed by any of the looks. However, let's take a look and see how they truly did. Ready for Fashion Police Round 2? Let's get started...

COLORS:
Overall, the guests stuck to a lot of neutral colors: white and black and nudes. Favorites of this trend would have to include, Kate Hudson in Stella McCartney and Candice Swanepoel in Topshop. Everyone stuck with a classic look that was simple yet elegant, which helped viewers reminisce about historical French couture. However, some chose to stick out amongst the crowd, such as Lily-Rose Depp in Chanel or Serena Williams in Versace. There was also a lot of red, as seen with Rita Ora in Marchesa and Rami Malek in Dior Homme.

NECKLINES:
Last night, guests of the MET Gala were ready to show themselves off with most necklines accentuating the collar bone and chest area. Plunge necklines were super popular, as seen with Ruby Rose in Burberry and Selena Gomez in Coach. Guests also wore off-the-shoulder, a trendy neckline at the moment, which can be seen with Kim Kardashian West in Vivenne Westwood and Jessica Chastain in Prada.

SILHOUETTES:
This year, there really was not one specific silhouette that stood out the most. Guests opted to wear a variety, including sheath (Elizabeth Banks in Michael Kors Collection), ball gown (Lauren Osnes in Christian Siriano) and even the occasional jumpsuit (Bella Hadid in Alexander Wang). I think my favorite silhouette would have to be the over-the-top ballroom gown worn by Miranda Kerr in Oscar de la Renta.

BEST DRESSED OF THE NIGHT:
Of all the looks, I would have to say that Kylie Jenner in Versace was my favorite of the night. From the blush color to the sheer and sequined dress, I was in love. It was something that I wish I could wear if I was famous (or looked like Kylie Jenner). Plus, her platinum bob was the perfect touch to the whole look and I applaud her for another successful MET Gala appearance. 


Maybe one year I will have the opportunity to attend the MET Gala, a girl could dream, am I right!? Until then, I will just stay counting down the days until the first of May for the next MET Gala. In the mean time, I will definitely be taking a trip to the MET Museum so I can see the exhibit for myself! 

Until next time...

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Kelly Guidry. Design by Fearne.