International Women's Day


What does it mean to be a woman? If you asked someone 70 years ago what it meant, they would give you an answer such as, "A woman is meant to be at home. She should take care of the children and cook and clean, while the husband is off at work bringing home the bread." Fast forward 70 years and society has changed. Now if you ask someone what it means to be a woman, you'll get answers such as: Being a woman, in this day and age, can mean being an engineer, a scientist, a doctor, a lawyer, a journalist, an actress, a mother, becoming president, finding the cure for cancer, helping reduce climate change—whatever that individual woman wants to be.



That is what I love about International Women's Day. Society is taking a day for everyone to appreciate the women in their lives and the so many women who have changed history. Women like Rosa Parks, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Victoria Woodhull, even Oprah Winfrey. These women have changed society for the better. They have given women greater strides in equality than some would have ever thought. Women now have the right to their own body, the right to go to school, the right to participate in politics, the right to love who they want to, etc. However, there are still many things left to accomplish for women as a whole. I hope that in my lifetime, I will be able to see the day where women are finally recognized as equals to men. 

I so often see women putting each other down on the Internet or in person, but when will it all just stop? We are here on this Earth for a reason. Why spend that time putting each other down, when we could be encouraging each other, giving each other support? I remember last year was the first year that I really knew there was an International Women's Day and that was the day that I saw the quote above. It resonated with me and I always get excited when I see this quote. 

May we know them. There are so many strong women in my life and I am so grateful to be surrounded by them. They help me grow and believe that nothing is impossible. I would have to say the strongest woman in my life is my mother. We may not always get along, but I know that everything she does is out of love and she has kept our family together through these years and I am so blessed to have her for a mother because I know I would be an even greater hot mess if it wasn't for her to keep me sane. 

May we be them. I strive everyday to be the woman that I want to be and be confident in my own skin. I'm not perfect and I acknowledge that. But, I try to move past my flaws and focus on what is more important, such as getting a good education, spending time with my family and friends, accomplishing the long list of goals I have set for myself. These are the types of things that make me strong and I only hope that I can grow to become the woman my 5 year-old self dreamed to be.

May we raise them. I hope that one day I can have a daughter of my own. I want to bring her into a world filled with love and support. Whatever she wants to achieve, I will be there for her, just like my mom has been there for me. I want my daughter to know that she is amazing and beautiful and strong and no one should put her down or make her feel ashamed of who she is. I want her to know that she can accomplish anything and I will support her every step of the way.

It is incredible to see everything that women have accomplished throughout the history of time. And the best part is, we're just getting started.

Until next time...

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Kelly Guidry. Design by Fearne.